The 500 Festival earned 23 industry honors from the International Festival and Events Association (IFEA). Earning top honors, the 500 Festival secured a Silver Grand Pinnacle, meaning it was recognized one of the best festivals in the world. In addition, this marks the fifth consecutive year that a 500 Festival event has been recognized in the Best Event category (2013 Silver: Parade; 2012 Bronze: Kids’ Day; 2011 Gold: Mini-Marathon, Silver: Parade, Bronze: Community Day; 2010 Gold: Parade; 2009 Bronze: Mini-Marathon). The awards were distributed in September during the IFEA Pinnacle Awards Ceremony held at the IFEA’s 58th Annual Convention in Pittsburgh, Pa.
“We are very proud to be considered among the best festival organizations in the world,” said Bob Bryant, President and CEO, 500 Festival. “The recognition from within the industry is a testament to the hard work of the staff, volunteers, board members, sponsor partners and the Indianapolis community that embraces and participates in 500 Festival events.”
The 500 Festival received the following IFEA/Haas & Wilkerson Pinnacle Awards:
Silver Grand Pinnacle Award:
Gold Pinnacle Awards:
- Best New Attendee Service – QR code results tracking for Mini-Marathon and 5K
- Best Invitation – Regions 500 Festival Snakepit Ball, presented by Cindy and Simon Skjodt
- Best Sponsorship Program for Individual Sponsor – UPS Gear Check at Mini-Marathon
- Best Promotion Publicizing an IFEA/Haas & Wilkerson Pinnacle Award Win
- Best Single Newspaper Display Ad- The Indianapolis Star
Silver Pinnacle Awards:
- Best Event within an Existing Festival- IPL 500 Festival Parade
- Best Children’s Programming- Chase 500 Festival Kids’ Day and Rookie Run
- Best Overall Merchandising Program Main Event
- Best Vendor/Supplier – Rob Banayote Photography
- Best Overall Sponsorship Program- OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon
- Best Money-Making Idea- Mini-Marathon partnership with MarathonFoto
- Best Sponsor Partner- OneAmerica for Mini-Marathon
- Best Single New Sponsorship Opportunity- YMCA Training Program
- Best Event/Program within an Event to Benefit a Charity- Media Pit Stop Challenge
- Best Press/Media Kit
Bronze Pinnacle Awards:
- Best Educational Program – 500 Festival and Indianapolis 500® Education Program, presented by Indiana University Health
- Best Community Outreach Program- Princess Program
- Best Full-Length TV Program – Parade-National Broadcast on NBC Sports Network
- Best Pin or Button – American Family Insurance 500 Festival Community Day
- Best Street Banner – 500 Festival and Indianapolis Motor Speedway Downtown Pole Banners
- Best Individual Sponsor Follow-up Report – PL for Parade
- Best Media Relations Campaign
Winning Pinnacle entries came from organizations as diverse as The Kentucky Derby Festival, Louisville, Ky.; The Tournament of Roses, Pasadena, Calif. and Cherry Creek Arts Festival, Denver, Colo. International contenders included such diverse event organizations as Geumsan Insam Festival, Geumsan-gun, South Korea and World Gourmet Summit, Singapore. Entries included posters, merchandise, websites, print and broadcast ads, volunteer programs, community outreach programs and many other categories.
Each year, the IFEA recognizes outstanding examples of quality and creativity in the promotional programs and materials produced by its 2,400 member festivals and events around the world. More than 1,500 entries were submitted this year from the world’s top festivals and events.
Headquartered in Boise, Idaho, The International Festivals and Events Association (IFEA) is a non-profit membership organization with members spanning 40 countries and five continents, and offers the most complete source of ideas, resources, information, education and networking for festival and event professionals worldwide. Visit www.ifea.com for additional details.